What’s the Best WordPress Page Builder in 2021? 5 Options Compared
A page builder plugin is a must-have for every WordPress website. Especially when it comes to building landing pages and sales pages, the usefulness of a page builder is immeasurable.
Thankfully, there are now so many different WordPress page builder plugins for you to choose from. But of course, you can’t install them all on your website. So which page builder should you use?
In this article, we’ll provide you an answer to that question by comparing the top 5 WordPress page builder plugins in the market right now.
Let’s see which plugins offer the best features and benefits.
What is a WordPress Page Builder?
A page builder plugin is a third-party tool you can install on your WordPress website to create unique layouts, pages, and customize the homepage design.
For example, if you’re selling a product like an eBook or an online course on your website, you can use a page builder to make a professional-looking landing page to promote the features of your product with buy buttons, images, videos, and attractive formatting.
(Example: Elementor template)
When you install a page builder plugin, it adds an alternative editor to your WordPress site. You can use it to create unique layouts and pages by simply dragging and dropping content blocks to a blank canvas. There’s no coding involved.
Why Use Them?
A page builder plugin is useful for both complete beginners and experienced WordPress users.
If you’re new to WordPress, you can use a page builder to easily create landing pages or even create a custom homepage design for your website without web design knowledge.
Experienced users can create unique product page designs, experiment with A/B split testing, and even build entire themes using a page builder plugin.
Simply put, every WordPress user should know how to use a page builder as it can open up so many new opportunities for you and your business.
Top WordPress Page Builders
There are many different page builders out there so it was tough to narrow it down to just five options. We used several factors when choosing these top five, like pricing, ease of use, templates, and third-party resources.
Let’s take a closer look.
With more than 5 million users, Elementor is now one of the most popular page builder plugins available on WordPress. Elementor offers a very generous free version of the plugin that’s perfect for basic use.
Elementor also features an easy-to-use live editor where you can drag and drop widgets and elements to create unique pages or even build entire WordPress themes without coding.
This makes Elementor a great option for beginners and even professional web designers. Especially with the ability to use Elementor Template Kits, freelance designers can now build unique websites for clients without having to write a single line of code.
Benefits of Using Elementor
- Build pages using drag and drop editor with live preview
- Choose from over 200 pre-made templates to quickly design landing pages
- Build entire theme designs or use template kits
- Craft attractive WooCommerce product pages
- Design popup messages to grow your email list
- Integrates with Zapier, MailChimp, LeanDash, and much more
- Extend features of the page builder with third-party add-ons
Downsides to Using Elementor
- The free version has limited features but enough for basic use
- Premium version requires a subscription
How Much Does it Cost?
Elementor has a free version that you can install directly from the WordPress plugin directory.
Premium version gives you access to widgets, pre-made templates, popup builder, and more for $49 per year.
Visual Composer was the go-to page builder for many WordPress users before Elementor came along. But it’s still one of the best page builders out there. WPBakery, the developers behind this plugin, later rebranded Visual Composer. Now it’s called WPBakery Page Builder.
WPBakery Page Builder powers up more than 4 million websites. The numbers are much more impressive since the plugin doesn’t offer a free version. But, most of the credit should go to all the WordPress themes that ships with the plugin.
WPBakery Page Builder also has a simple and easy-to-understand user interface with drag and drop features. It also works quite well with any WordPress theme.
One of the unique features of this page builder is that it allows you to design and build pages using both front-end or back-end editors.
Benefits of Using WPBakery Page Builder
- Easily design landing pages and sales pages using front-end and back-end page builders
- Choose from more than 50 content elements and over 80 pre-made templates
- Customize the design of content elements using the Skin Builder
- More than 250 add-ons for extending the features of the page builder
- Compatible with Yoast SEO and WPML for adding translations
- Integrates with WooCommerce for crafting unique product pages
- Only costs a one-time price
Downsides to Using WPBakery Page Builder
- Doesn’t offer a free version
- The user interface can feel a bit clunky at times
How Much Does it Cost?
WPBakery Page Builder doesn’t have a free plan. But, you can request a free demo to see how it works.
The plugin costs a one-time price of $64 on CodeCanyon and you’ll receive all future updates for free.
SeedProd is fairly new in the page builder plugin arena. However, taking lessons from other more successful plugins, SeedProd seems to have built a well-polished page builder with solid features.
The drag and drop editor in SeedProd works smoothly and faster than most other page builders.
SeedProd is sort of an all-in-one page builder that tries to specialize in all areas of landing pages. You can use it to build sales pages, webinar pages, email optin pages, or even coming soon pages for launching products.
The plugin also provides you with more than 100 pre-made templates to easily create different types of landing pages without effort.
Benefits of Using SeedProd
- Build pages using fast and smooth drag and drop visual editor
- Create sales pages, webinar pages, coming soon pages, login pages, and more
- Includes more than 35 content blocks for building unique pages
- Choose from over 100 pre-made templates with beautiful designs
- Integrates with Zapier and email marketing tools for growing your email list
- Compatible with WooCommerce and all WordPress themes
Downsides to Using SeedProd
- SeedProd doesn’t have a free version or trial version for you to test it out. But it offers 14-day refunds
- SeedProd comes with an expensive yearly subscription plan
- Offers only a limited number of integrations
- The plugin is new so it’s hard to tell how it’ll be developed in the future
How Much Does it Cost?
SeedProd is a premium page builder plugin. It costs $79 per year, or $39 per year if you managed to catch a sale, to access its main features.
For more advanced features like WooCommerce support and domain mapping, you’ll need to get the $399 per year plan.
Thrive Architect is a lesser-known page builder that’s mostly loved by marketers and businesses. This page builder has a drag and drop editor and works just like any other plugin but it specializes in landing pages and sales pages.
Thrive Architect comes with a collection of over 290 landing page templates that you can use to create sales pages, landing pages, webinar pages, email optin pages, and more.
This is one of the reasons why the plugin is popular among marketers, bloggers, and small businesses. The plugin makes it much easier to build high-converting landing pages without web design experience.
Thrive Architect comes as a part of the Thrive Suite, which includes a number of plugins, like Thrive Theme Builder, Thrive Leads, and more.
These additional plugins will allow you to run A/B split tests and add email popups to your landing pages. This makes the solution most suitable for web designers, small businesses, and marketers.
Benefits of Using Thrive Architect
- Easy to use drag-and-drop editor for crafting unique pages
- Easily create sales, optin, and webinar pages using over 290 professional landing page designs
- Many flexible formatting options for customizing your page designs
- Integrates with MailChimp, Zapier, Amazon SES, Zoho, and more
- Get access to 9 other marketing plugins for a single subscription
Downsides to Using Thrive Architect
- Since Thrive Architect comes as bundled with other plugins, the subscription is expensive
- Features a limited number of content blocks for making unique pages
How Much Does it Cost?
As we’ve mentioned earlier, Thrive Architect plugin comes bundled with 9 other plugins. The Thrive Suite costs $19 per month or $288 per year.
Live Composer is a special page builder that you can use 100% free of charge. All of the features in the page builder are available in the free plugin and you can use it however you want and on any number of websites you have, for free!
Of course, there are premium extensions that you can buy to add additional features to pages you create. Like preloaders, video embed, and mega menus. But they aren’t required.
In addition to its free price tag and unlimited use, Live Composer features a simple drag and drop editor. While it’s not as smooth or sophisticated as the other page builders on our list, Live Composer editor is more than enough for setting up a quick landing page for your blog or small business website.
Benefits of Using Live Composer
- Simple drag and drop editor for making basic landing pages
- Build landing pages, portfolios, product pages, and website homepages
- Compatible with WooCommerce and SEO-friendly
- Premium extensions for adding more features to the page builder
- Use on unlimited websites for free
Downsides to Using Live Composer
- Some of the useful features like WooCommerce integration requires getting the premium extensions pack
- The editor is not as smooth as other page builders
- Limited number of content blocks and lacks pre-made templates
How Much Does it Cost?
Live Composer is an open-source plugin. You can use the page builder for free without any restrictions.
However, in order to access advanced features, you’ll need the premium extensions pack. It costs a one-time price of $49 for a single-site license or $99 for unlimited websites.
Which Page Builder is Best for You?
Given its incredible growth and development over the years and its expandable features, Elementor comes out on top as the best page builder for all types of users.
Even if you set aside the free version of Elementor, its popup builder, and form builder, the recently introduced Elementor template kits feature makes the plugin much more useful than any other page builder.
The only downside to using Elementor is its subscription-based pricing plan. If that’s a problem for you, go with WPBakery Page Builder. It’s just as powerful as Elementor and it only costs a one-time price. The plugin also works great with any WordPress theme you use.
In conclusion, to get the most out of a page builder plugin, you should use a theme that’s built with a page builder. Be sure to check out our best Elementor themes and WPBakery Page Builder themes collections. These themes come bundled with a free copy of the page builder plugin as well.
Looking for WordPress hosting? We use Kinsta. They offer world-class WordPress hosting, built to keep your website fast, secure, and always online.